Search This Site

Custom Search

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Reflections from a Food Allergy Kid


My 11 year old son wanted to share his food allergy story with other kids.
He has outgrown his eczema (and some of his food allergies).
     When I was little I didn't eat Matzah on Pesach or eat cookies or cake from a bakery, ever. Even after I became less allergic I still had bad eczema from wheat. If you don't know what eczema is, you don't really want to know. It is very, very itchy. The more you scratch, the worse it gets. I remember lots of creams (some of them stinky) and always aquaphor after my bath.
     My next memory is when my kid-jealousy started to kick in. I was in 1st grade when I saw all my friends having pizza, cookies, snacks with wheat, and I wasn't! That was hard.Luckily, I have a very smart mother and she found and made tons of wheat free products. For instance, on Shabbos instead of challah I would have rice bread, instead of wheat desserts I would have non-wheat yummy non-dairy home-made ice-creams, so basically my mother found tons of replacements for what the other kids were eating.  
     I'm 11 now and finally I've outgrown my allergies to wheat, eggs, and peanuts. I don't have eczema either, phew. I'm still very allergic to tree nuts and kiwi.  My advice to other kids with food allergies is:  always make sure what you're eating is safe and if your mother gives you weird looking safe food, try it.  
kosherfoodallergies is accepting submissions from your food allergy kid
would they like to see their story in print?  Share your child's story in the comments section below.


2 comments:

  1. It sounds like your son has learned many valuable coping skils from dealing with food allergies. Glad to hear that he has outgrown most of them.

    Good job Mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a remarkable boy. Adversity can make us stronger!

      Delete